Competition Prep Theories

Home Forums Contest Prep Competition Prep Theories

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Christa Elias
    Participant

Alright… so I understand that there are 2 different theories on how to prepare for a competition:
    1. Manipulate your body using FOOD…. use cardio to tweak as necessary.
    2. FEED your body, so that your body can have more intense workouts and use cardio as a way to lean out.

I competed for my first time this year and my coach definitely used theory #2. She fed me a ton… but I was doing 2 hours of cardio a day… and she currently has me doing a full hour on my ‘off season’ …which I think is kind of crazy.

So I am looking into this other coach who uses food to manipulate your body and only uses cardio as necessary. He would only have me do cardio twice a week during my off season.

BOTH seem extreme. Which works best for you? Which theory do coach by? Does it depend on the person? Any help you could give would be really appreciated!

Naomi

Hi Christa,

There can be a “happy medium” using both food and cardio as manipulation tools. It really does depend on 1.) how your individual body responds 2.) what you’re comfortable putting your body through and if you feel it is healthy 3.) if you trust the advice of your coach and the results you’ve seen from following that advice.

There are a lot of different approaches to competition prep, and they don’t necessarily have to involve extremes. Although the process may take longer, a slower less extreme approach will leave you with a healthier body in the long-run.

I hope this is helpful! 🙂

Christa Elias
    Participant

Thank you 🙂

Christine Bieniek
    Christine Bieniek
    Participant

There are a lot of different approaches to competition prep, and they don’t necessarily have to involve extremes. Although the process may take longer, a slower less extreme approach will leave you with a healthier body in the long-run.

Very beautifully put!! I totally agree with Naomi. Less extreme (however) can take a bit longer will get you those results you want AND leave you feeling better and healthier after comp!! My last prep was longer, less extreme, allowed for a bit of “wiggle room” and it has been the BEST EXPERIENCE prepping that I’ve ever had! Coming off of prep I’ve felt great – not as emotional – not like I want to stuff my face – and overall healthy!

Listen to Naomi and TAKE YOUR TIME!! ; )

matt rogers
    matt rogers
    Participant

Nicole or Naomi..

any quick tips on shooting photos of doing exercises??

Naomi

Hi Matt- are you doing the photography and shooting someone else modeling the exercises or are you modeling the exercises and being photographed?

matt rogers
    matt rogers
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply…!!!! Its for my swim program. A group of us are collecting pics for demonstrations for coaches and athlete.

We will be shooting each other to get picks of exercises similar to demos you would see in a fitness magazine.

In a gym…

Naomi

Matt-

I have only worked with experienced fitness photographers, so I really don’t know what to suggest to you other than maybe look into hiring a professional fitness photographer if you’re looking for high quality fitness/athletic photos.

A propfessional will be able to collaborate with you on photoshoot concepts, lighting, how to prepare for a shoot the few weeks leading up to the shoot, posing, etc. A group of people getting together and taking pics of each other without much knowledge or experience of fitness/athletic photography might end up looking just like that.

Another suggestion would be to see if you can find a student photographer who needs practice and photos for his/her portfolio who can help you with the shoot. Or trying to contact a fitness photographer and shadowing him/her on a fitness photoshoot and picking his/her brain on questions you may have in conducting your own photoshoot.

I hope this helps! Good luck 🙂

matt rogers
    matt rogers
    Participant

It isn’t a aesthetic shoot, but of course we want it to look good. However, we also want it to look like we were taking pictures of an actual workout. So somewhere in between a model type photo and a candid FB pic!!!

We did a test run to get some preliminary pictures. Many came out great, and had the look we wanted.

I should be more specific… Real quick, are there any angles you think a demonstration type exercise photo comes out best?

for example what angle for
    abs exercises on the floor?? and Squats???

Naomi

Again, good angles, lighting, etc. would be questions for a professional photographer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Nicole Wilkins