Nicole Wilkins

continuing weight loss post-challenge advice

Home Forums 45 Day Summer Shred Challenge 2020 continuing weight loss post-challenge advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

cajohn74
    Participant

Hi, I know this is looking ahead a little. I am doing well sticking to the program, however i will probably want to keep losing another 10-15 after. I am on plan 1. Would I keep going with the phase 3 meal plan until I get where I need to be? Or any other advice? I’ve never actually followed a program “through” – this here is working – so if I can continue to use some of the nutrition rules longer that’s great. Any advice is appreciated!

Alice
    Participant

This is awesome. I was thinking this very thing the other day. Thank you for speaking up. I’m wanting to lose probably another inch, and I LOVE how it’s really changed my way of thinking about my nutrition and what my body needs…..instead of all the chocolate it wants. Lololol Stil no cravings!!! Weird!!

Eva
    Participant

Will there be a response to this? Thank you

Naomi

Hi, I know this is looking ahead a little. I am doing well sticking to the program, however i will probably want to keep losing another 10-15 after. I am on plan 1. Would I keep going with the phase 3 meal plan until I get where I need to be? Or any other advice? I’ve never actually followed a program “through” – this here is working – so if I can continue to use some of the nutrition rules longer that’s great. Any advice is appreciated!

Hey there- sorry I did not see this post for some reason, so I apologize for the delay in response. It really depends on how much of a deficit you are in with Phase 3. I really don’t know what your maintenance calories are so I don’t know how much of a deficit you’re currently in. The problem with a deficit is that you can’t stay in it for too long (I would recommend no longer than 3-4 weeks) or else you run the risk of starting to lose muscle and your metabolism will actually start to slow down so it will make it even more difficult to lose body fat.

Are you just wanting to lose body weight on the scale? Or do you want to gain good quality lean muscle, and lose body fat, which is totally different than losing overall body weight.

It is hard for me to give you a short, general answer because continuing to lose body fat might mean you need to increase your calories a bit (go into maintenance or a little bit of a surplus), decrease your cardio, lift heavy for a while, gain a little more muscle, then go back into a “cut” or deficit to lose more body fat. Does that make sense?

bri.hiltbrunner
    Participant

I am in the same boat. I am seeing serious results and would like to continue building good quality muscle while losing body fat. How would we figure out where maintenance is for us individually? Then say we finish the challenge go into maintenance, continue to workout and then go back through the challenge on our own. Would that be a safe thing to do after a month of maintenance? I would like to stay on this track. I have had some very difficult family things going on during the challenge so I have not done every day perfectly but have picked up where I left off and kept trucking. The results I’m seeing are great and I totally appreciate this program. I’ve kind of followed Nicole for years so this was really cool for me. Thanks to all ya’ll.

cajohn74
    Participant

Naomi thank you, and for some reason I didn’t see this reply come up like usual. Def want to lose fat and keep/gain (if that’s possible) muscle. But def lose fat. Every calculation I’ve ever done in recent memory – by hand and online – puts my maintenance around 2150. So all through this challenge I have been in a deficit but particularly now in phase 3 at that ~1150/1200. I do feel the need to up my calories (particularly from carbs) some. I am afraid to stay in too great a deficit too long and mess up my metabolism. How long is too long, and how much of a deficit is too much? And how much and how often to increase food intake? Sorry for million questions. I hope that makes sense. Thank you.

Naomi

The answer to your questions is going to vary from person-to-person based on a wide variety of factors. But the short answer to your question is that the smaller the deficit, the longer you can realistically sustain it in a health way without doing much or any damage to your metabolism. The steeper the deficit, the shorter you should be on it because the greater the risk is of slowing down or damaging your metabolism (and it can take years to reverse diet-related metabolic issues).

That is why slow, steady gradual progress is better than trying. to crash-diet, and why physique competitors only stay in a significantly steep deficit before a competition for between 2-4 weeks (gradually increasing the steepness of the deficit over the course of an entire 12-16 week period).

Also, if you want to gain muscle and lose body fat, your body will need calories to keep a healthy metabolism and preserve muscle. At a certain point of being in a deficit, your body will just rebel on you and stop responding all together (that’s when you know your metabolism is starting to get into trouble).

The best approach from my experience is spending most of your time in a caloric surplus or maintenance, then going into a “cutting phase” or moderate caloric deficit (not too steep) for about 4-6 weeks (depending on how your body responds), then reverse dieting back into a caloric maintenance or surplus for a few months (or a year, or however long you want to build muscle) then go back into a 4-6 week leaning-out phase, and so on.

I hope this helps! Best of luck in reaching your goals 🙂

bri.hiltbrunner
    Participant

Thank you so much for going over that. That makes total sense.

cajohn74
    Participant

Thank you for taking the time to lay this all out! I appreciate it, enjoy the holiday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Nicole Wilkins
Lost your password?