Nicole Wilkins

Sleep

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Voorhees
    Participant

I watched the live video in the Facebook group and there was a lot of talk about sleep. I know sleep is important, but at one point someone had listed it as number one, with nutrition second in importance, and lifting third. In order to get my workout in, I’ve been getting up at 3:30 am. I get my workout in lifting and cardio depending on the program schedule, eat post workout meal super quick, then jump in the shower to get around and head to work. I don’t get home from work with enough free time to work out before I have to take my boys to football practice. We don’t get home from football until after 7, then we have dinner and I usually don’t get to bed before 9 sometimes later. Obviously getting to sleep after 9 and getting up at 3:30 am isn’t the recommended amount of sleep. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on getting it all in? I’ve racked my brain trying to figure it all out. I’m considering changing my work schedule so I can drop my kids off at school (they start school Friday), which means I would get about an hour more of sleep before needing to get up to workout, but I’m not sure that is even enough. By the scheduled rest day, I’m completely exhausted and worn out. I feel like I could sleep for days if my schedule allowed it. Normally when I eat this good (I’m following the nutrition plan very strictly) I have a ton of energy. Thank you! I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Naomi

I watched the live video in the Facebook group and there was a lot of talk about sleep. I know sleep is important, but at one point someone had listed it as number one, with nutrition second in importance, and lifting third. In order to get my workout in, I’ve been getting up at 3:30 am. I get my workout in lifting and cardio depending on the program schedule, eat post workout meal super quick, then jump in the shower to get around and head to work. I don’t get home from work with enough free time to work out before I have to take my boys to football practice. We don’t get home from football until after 7, then we have dinner and I usually don’t get to bed before 9 sometimes later. Obviously getting to sleep after 9 and getting up at 3:30 am isn’t the recommended amount of sleep. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on getting it all in? I’ve racked my brain trying to figure it all out. I’m considering changing my work schedule so I can drop my kids off at school (they start school Friday), which means I would get about an hour more of sleep before needing to get up to workout, but I’m not sure that is even enough. By the scheduled rest day, I’m completely exhausted and worn out. I feel like I could sleep for days if my schedule allowed it. Normally when I eat this good (I’m following the nutrition plan very strictly) I have a ton of energy. Thank you! I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Yep, I would try changing your schedule if you are able to in order to get at least one more hour of sleep. That will help a bunch! Are you feeling rested when you wake up? And how much sleep are you currently getting, how many hours? And is it uninterrupted sleep?

Ashley Voorhees
    Participant

No, never feel rested. My body has gotten used to getting up at 3:30 because I tend to wake up before my alarm. It varies how many hours I get based on how much stuff I have to do before going to bed after the practices. I would say I usually get 4.5-5.5 hours of sleep. Some nights I sleep great, other nights I struggle to get to or stay asleep…and I do take sleep gummies to help me fall asleep. I’ve tried several types and some nights they work, and other nights they don’t.

Naomi

No, never feel rested. My body has gotten used to getting up at 3:30 because I tend to wake up before my alarm. It varies how many hours I get based on how much stuff I have to do before going to bed after the practices. I would say I usually get 4.5-5.5 hours of sleep. Some nights I sleep great, other nights I struggle to get to or stay asleep…and I do take sleep gummies to help me fall asleep. I’ve tried several types and some nights they work, and other nights they don’t.

If you aren’t getting about 7-8 hours of sleep, your body might be in a constant state of heightened stress which affects hormones, metabolism, brain chemistry (moods, reactions, etc.) food choices (you will feel hungrier more often and overall fatigue). Your body may not be able to physically respond well to a fitness program without good quality, consistent sleep, even if your nutrition and workouts are good.

There is a very interesting, in-depth book about what happens to our bodies when we sleep, how taking sleep aids doesn’t actually help us, and what happens when we lack good quality consistent sleep. It’s called “Why We Sleep” by Matthew Walker, and I believe there is an audio book too. It might be helpful for you and help you understand more the importance of sleep and how it can be affecting you physically, mentally and emotionally 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.