Nicole Wilkins

Training a "tween"

Home Forums Training Training a "tween"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Beth Milford
    Participant

Hi to whomever can help! I am going g to train an active 11 yr old girl, dance lessons, bikes, runs & tracks her food on MFP. Watches what she eats but not obsessive and eats extras. I train her Mom & she keeps an eye on her (doesn’t want any eating disorders)
    I’ve trained teens, but no one this age. Any advice…mostly bodyweight? We are not in a gym setting yet, still closed. I have kettlebells, bands, stability balls, med. Balls, sandbags, pullup bar, battle rope & alot of creativity!
    Naomi, I know you have a “young” son, so I thought you may ha e some suggestions.
    Thank you so much,
    Beth Milford

Naomi

Hi to whomever can help! I am going g to train an active 11 yr old girl, dance lessons, bikes, runs & tracks her food on MFP. Watches what she eats but not obsessive and eats extras. I train her Mom & she keeps an eye on her (doesn’t want any eating disorders)
    I’ve trained teens, but no one this age. Any advice…mostly bodyweight? We are not in a gym setting yet, still closed. I have kettlebells, bands, stability balls, med. Balls, sandbags, pullup bar, battle rope & alot of creativity!
    Naomi, I know you have a “young” son, so I thought you may ha e some suggestions.
    Thank you so much,
    Beth Milford

Hi Beth! That is so exciting, it is so much fun to train young kids! I would start with body weight exercises and things like standing db hammer curls w/ 2lb dumbbells and just really focus on form at first. Kids can pretty much do any exercise (except advanced technical exercises such as deadlifts, behind the neck presses/pull-downs etc.) but just start with basic things: body weight squats, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups on monkey bars if you have access to a playground – even just going across the monkey bars is crazy hard – bench dips, step-ups, wall-sits, etc.

Start weighted exercises with 2, 3 or 5lb dumbbells, really focus on correct form and building up strength, and progress slowly from there. Of course, always remember safety first.

Have fun!! 😀

Beth Milford
    Participant

Thank you Naomi!!! That is exactly what I did (bodyweight) & all the exercises you mentioned.
    Even pullups ( I have a bar) no gyms open. She is like a sponge, wants to learn & get stronger.
    She loved it & wants 2 sessions a week.

One question I forgot to ask, because she is focusing on her diet as well, should she stick to a certain amount of calories & macros?

You’re the best thank you so much❤
    Beth

Naomi

Thank you Naomi!!! That is exactly what I did (bodyweight) & all the exercises you mentioned.
    Even pullups ( I have a bar) no gyms open. She is like a sponge, wants to learn & get stronger.
    She loved it & wants 2 sessions a week.

One question I forgot to ask, because she is focusing on her diet as well, should she stick to a certain amount of calories & macros?

You’re the best thank you so much❤
    Beth

That is great Beth, it sounds like she had a great workout with an awesome coach! I personally feel it is best to stay away from calorie counting or food restrictions or food monitoring with children (with certain exceptions, of course), especially with adolescent females. I feel this can unintentionally cause insecurities and other issues that may lead to eating disorders and body dysmorphia. While it is completely with good intentions, calorie restrictions with children – unless a specific calorie limit and macro requirement is advised by a doctor – should not be administered with children, especially active children as they are still growing and developing.

I have never monitored or restricted Gryphon’s calories or macros, nor have I restricted him from eating any foods (he even eats corn dogs, Oreos, chick-fil-a, etc.). I just feel like it could backfire later in life and I approach the issue of food and health/fitness by teaching him about making healthy and unhealthy food choices and what the consequences could be of those choices 😉

I hope the helps! Keep up the great work with her! 😀

Beth Milford
    Participant

Thank you, my thoughts exactly, but I did want an expert’s opinion. I have not recommended any thing to do with food & tracking, but her Mom does, so I believe she has picked it up from her. I will address it with both of them in a professional way.
    She (Ava) is extremely active but she sees the other girls in dance who are thinner.
    I am only positive & uplifting & focusing on all her strong points, which are alot.
    Naomi, thank you so much. I appreciate all your advice, your column, & having someone to discuss this with.
    Have a great week!
    And I like seeing you & your son workout. I got my 4 yr old grandson doing the same with me in quarantine!!!
    Beth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Nicole Wilkins
Lost your password?