Nicole Wilkins

Carb Sources

Home Forums Ask Nicole Carb Sources

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Zach Penrod
    Participant

I noticed that most fitness professionals stick to rice and potatoes as their main carb source. Obviously people respond differently, but why are these a better option than whole grain bread?

Hope you don’t mind me replying as you’ve put this in the ‘Ask Nicole’ section but most of the time this down to the type of carb consumed- slow release vs fast and complex vs simple carbs etc.

Each type having a different affect and use on the body/energy.
    Rice- brown rice being the slower release of energy over time and white rice having a quicker release.
    Potatoes- again as above, sweet potato having the slow release of energy and white potato having a quicker release which will spike the insulin quicker than the brown rice/sweet potato.

There’s more in depth as to why people will choose these down to fiber, the starch content, how it spikes insulin etc.

Zach Penrod
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Charlotte. So are you saying that there’s something less desirable about how bread is metabolized compared to rice and potatoes?

Joanne Dunn
    Joanne Dunn
    Participant

I tend to stick to rice and potato/sweet potato over bread, mainly because it is in it’s natural form, bread is processed. during off-season I will have breads, but limited. During prep I stick to whole foods.

Zach Penrod
    Participant

Joanne thank you I didn’t even think about the fact that it has been processed.

Samantha
    Samantha
    Participant

Hi Zach,
    The wheat we currently use for bread in the west is a dwarf variety which requires more yeast, and thus more sugar and then stabilisers and preservatives as a result. That makes it both a high glycemic index food and a highly processed food. Many people find it difficult to digest and can experience water retention as well as having the problem of insulin spiking. Some people can get away with it but I find I get more hungry with it as well as feeling a little bloated compared to rice or potatoes. You have to see how it affects you and decide from there.

Hope that helps
    Sam x

Renae Gordon
    Participant

bread is just more processed and has more ‘other’ ingredients
    I get bloated when I eat bread and I also tend to over eat when I also eat bread – so that’s my reason for limiting it.

Nicole
    Nicole
    Keymaster

Hey guys, I agree with all of the above. I try to stick with foods that are the most natural to true form. Potatoes and rice and oats for example have just potatoes, rice and oats in the ingredient list. Breads have a whole slew of ingredients including sugar and yeast as indicated above. The less ingredients in the product, the better IMO

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.