Nicole Wilkins

Injuries

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

w0102853
    Participant

Reposting as I think my post has been missed.

Hi,
    I have osteoarthritis and I can’t do hiit on a bike or a rower, can’t run, can’t jump can’t really squat. Should I do steady state instead? If so, what’s the equivalent time and hr? The knee surgeon told me to space out my impact to prolong my inevitable knee replacement. I have a rehab program from an ex phys but that program isn’t going to help me lose weight right now and at the moment my knee is also too sore to even do my rehab exercises.

Maureen
    Maureen

What cardio machine can you do? And we can go from there.

w0102853
    Participant

Hi, I have all normal cardio equipment available in a gym.
    I tried a steady state cycle and that was ok but not very fat burning. If this was the best option what would be the equivalent for the hiit please? An hour? If so what % of Max Hr should I aim for that’s also kind to my knee.

Maureen
    Maureen

Hi, I have all normal cardio equipment available in a gym.
    I tried a steady state cycle and that was ok but not very fat burning. If this was the best option what would be the equivalent for the hiit please? An hour? If so what % of Max Hr should I aim for that’s also kind to my knee.

Steady state or going longer won’t really duplicate HIIT. Can you walk on an incline? YOu don’t have to run. Just use the incline to get that heart rate up. You can always try an UBE or Upper body ergometer….it’s like a bike for the upper body….You could go as hard as you can on that thing while following one of the cardio plans. Just my 2 cents.

w0102853
    Participant

Thanks.

I’ll see if there is a ski erg hidden anywhere.

I understand that it won’t duplicate but since it’s about creating a calorie deficit 20 minutes of hiit and 20 minutes walking on a treadmill are two different outcomes which is why I asked what I’d need to do.

Treadmill isn’t recommended by physio and ex phys but I’ll give it a go since there seems to not be many other options. So same length of time with increased heart rate? Sorry for all questions.

w0102853
    Participant

Just tried out the treadmill on incline- knee is sore afterwards 🤷‍♀️

Shelley Dippel
    Participant

Hi, so I’ve been dealing with a knee injury for the last 6 months. My cardio of choice is “whatever doesn’t hurt” that day or in the following days, which changes for me. Last week, I could use the stairmaster; this week, I can’t. My suggestion is, whatever machine you CAN do, just try to do intervals on that.

Per the Cardio instructions, “maximum intensity is different for everyone, so a good way to measure if you are working hard enough is to wear a heart rate monitor and to make sure your heart rate is between 170-190 beats per minute (bpm) during your intensity phases.”

Since cardio is an issue, I would focus on nailing the nutrition and lifting as heavy and with as much intensity as possible. You may not achieve the “optimal results” that you might if you could follow the program to a “t”, but that doesn’t mean you can’t achieve any results. Progress > Perfection

Darby Hunter
    Participant

for at least 6 months, I have been dealing with a situation affecting my knee, my chiropractor says are tight attachment points in my foot, Achilles, knee and maybe more since everything is kinetically connected. The only way I can describe it is my tibia and fibula shift out of place (she used a hammer thing and separated them the other day saying they were sticking together) and it takes the chiro to put is back in place. Ive been using a theragun type massager, using a barbell on my calves to work the muscles, stretch etc. It felt so good the other day after an appt so I ran on the treadmill-Sparticus as I hoped it wouldn’t it shifted and it started swelling Friday so I worked around the workout Saturday without squats.. Has anyone came across this situation in your combined years of experience and is there anything else that you could recommend?

I will need to get friendly with other sources of cardio, with less direct impact.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.