Nicole Wilkins

Overhead dumbbell squat and front squat

Home Forums 60 Day Total Body Transformation Challenge 2021 Forums Training Overhead dumbbell squat and front squat

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mackimberly007
    Participant

I read prior forum questions but it didn’t answer my question.

Overhead dumbbell squats. For some reason I’m having a hard time even with five pounds to go down in a squat without it causing left anterior shoulder pain. Can I do this move with my elbows slightly flexed almost resting on the shoulders but not actually resting?

Front squats. Why does this seem so awkward. I’m having difficulty finding a comfortable position to rest the bar. Maybe I’m lifting too much weight even though it’s not heavy or I am too damn sore from the last two days. How do you suggest getting a comfortable position or should I just resort to back squats?

j.atwood
    j.atwood
    Participant

I would also like to know on overhead squats if it’s ok to flex/bend your arms or do your arms need to be straight up holding bar/weight?

Naomi

I read prior forum questions but it didn’t answer my question.

Overhead dumbbell squats. For some reason I’m having a hard time even with five pounds to go down in a squat without it causing left anterior shoulder pain. Can I do this move with my elbows slightly flexed almost resting on the shoulders but not actually resting?

Front squats. Why does this seem so awkward. I’m having difficulty finding a comfortable position to rest the bar. Maybe I’m lifting too much weight even though it’s not heavy or I am too damn sore from the last two days. How do you suggest getting a comfortable position or should I just resort to back squats?

Hey there- definitely always listen to your body with any exercises and any associated discomfort. You can do the notification you mentioned with overhead squats, yes. As far as front squats, they take some getting use to, so I would recommend just using the bar with no extra weight until you get use to it. I typically only use 10-15lbs on each side of the bar. Even after you get use to doing front squats, you won’t be able to go as heavy as you can with back squats because you have your back to hold up the extra heavy weight when you do back squats, and you don’t have that with front squats which is part of why they are so much more difficult 😉 Best of luck, I hope this helps!

I would also like to know on overhead squats if it’s ok to flex/bend your arms or do your arms need to be straight up holding bar/weight?

I recommend choosing a weight light enough to where you can fully extend your arms as Nicole demonstrates, but listen to your body and do what feels right/avoid discomfort.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.