Nicole Wilkins

Pre-Menopausal – HIIT or Strength Training

Home Forums General Chat Pre-Menopausal – HIIT or Strength Training

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cindywynn1
    cindywynn1
    Participant

Hello Nicole & Team –
    I am a new member and i’m thoroughly enjoying all of the great information on the site also loving all of the workouts & videos! Just wondering if you can give any advice to this (soon to be) 53 year old – entering (gasp) menopause! I used to have 10 pounds that I wanted to lose, but now i am up to wanting to lose 20+ pounds!!!
    I have always been into fitness my whole life (my mom did a few bodybuilding competitions in her 40s and won her division!) Fitness is in my blood! 🙂 Back in the 90s, I did Step-Reebok workouts & The Firm videos! In the past 20 years, it’s been crossfit & kickboxing & miscellaneous classes at the gym (Les Mills). A few years ago, i started at my mom’s gym and really got into working out in the gym consistently with a 5 days a week program using machines & free weights and following strength training program. That was the best I’ve ever felt!!
    Since Covid, I had been doing 30 minute at-home workouts from an app i downloaded. They were intense 30-minute HITT workouts with weights but I wasn’t getting the results that I wanted. The weight crept on!! Is it because i’m pre-menopausal? Or do I need to forget about my AGE and switch up my workouts and focus on STRENGTH workouts? I think I was the happiest when I went to the gym 5 days a week and was doing a typical 5-day strength training program and mixed in some intense cardio with my old crossfit / HIIT workouts! I felt strong and confident!
    I guess I’m just curious about how much my AGE has to do with my weight gain (belly-fat/ mid-section weight gain). Team, thanks in advance for your help and guidance!!
    PS… I’m attaching a picture of my mom and me. She’s amazing. 🙂

Naomi

Hello Nicole & Team –
    I am a new member and i’m thoroughly enjoying all of the great information on the site also loving all of the workouts & videos! Just wondering if you can give any advice to this (soon to be) 53 year old – entering (gasp) menopause! I used to have 10 pounds that I wanted to lose, but now i am up to wanting to lose 20+ pounds!!!
    I have always been into fitness my whole life (my mom did a few bodybuilding competitions in her 40s and won her division!) Fitness is in my blood! 🙂 Back in the 90s, I did Step-Reebok workouts & The Firm videos! In the past 20 years, it’s been crossfit & kickboxing & miscellaneous classes at the gym (Les Mills). A few years ago, i started at my mom’s gym and really got into working out in the gym consistently with a 5 days a week program using machines & free weights and following strength training program. That was the best I’ve ever felt!!
    Since Covid, I had been doing 30 minute at-home workouts from an app i downloaded. They were intense 30-minute HITT workouts with weights but I wasn’t getting the results that I wanted. The weight crept on!! Is it because i’m pre-menopausal? Or do I need to forget about my AGE and switch up my workouts and focus on STRENGTH workouts? I think I was the happiest when I went to the gym 5 days a week and was doing a typical 5-day strength training program and mixed in some intense cardio with my old crossfit / HIIT workouts! I felt strong and confident!
    I guess I’m just curious about how much my AGE has to do with my weight gain (belly-fat/ mid-section weight gain). Team, thanks in advance for your help and guidance!!
    PS… I’m attaching a picture of my mom and me. She’s amazing. 🙂

Hi Cindy-

I don’t think age has as much to do with it, but more the lifestyle choices we make as we age. Nutrition is the biggest component, so I would focus on weight-training workouts instead of cardio, and definitely making sure you are eating healthy, nourishing foods, minimally processed, no fried foods, minimal to no alcohol (alcohol can play a huge factor in aging and metabolic issues, particularly slowing metabolism), making sure you are eating enough calories, no yo-yo dieting or crash dieting, etc. You need to be consistent with healthy lifestyle choices over the long-haul in order to really see progress in your fitness.

So while I do believe issues can occur more easily as we age, it has more to do with the lifestyle choices you make as you age – such as nutrition and being consistent with your weight training workouts – than aging itself.

Best of luck on your fitness journey, I hope this helps! 🙂

I hope this helps!

cindywynn1
    cindywynn1
    Participant

Fantastic! Thanks, Naomi!! 🙂
    –Lifestyle choices matter more then age.
    –Nutrition is biggest component.
    –Focus on Weight Training instead of Cardio.
    –Be Consistent.
    Got it… thanks so much for clarifying!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.