Pyramid Home Training

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

andreastumpf8
    Participant

Hi, do I use the pyramid at the Home training plan as well?There are up to 5 sets.How do I use higher weights with each set? I thought I would raise the weights for all sets each new week.
    Thank you!

Maureen
    Maureen

Hi, do I use the pyramid at the Home training plan as well?There are up to 5 sets.How do I use higher weights with each set? I thought I would raise the weights for all sets each new week. Thank you!

Hi there,
    did you read this part on pyramiding?
    We are incorporating the Pyramid Principle into all of these workouts – meaning you will increase your weight and lower your reps with each set. So if the rep range calls for 3 sets of 10-12 reps, you will start your first set using a weight you can do for around 12 repetitions. On your second set, you’ll increase the weight and shoot for 10 reps; on your third, you’ll increase the weight again and shoot for 8.

You want to push yourself on every set so that you are struggling to perform the last 2-3 reps while still using proper form. I recommend increasing the weight you are using it by small increments at first until you know what you are capable of handling. By the time Week 4 comes along, your strength should have improved on at least half of the exercises!

andreastumpf8
    Participant

Hi Maureen, I read the part.But some moves have more than three sets, up to five.How can I decrease the reps without ending up with 2 reps and an extremly heavy weight? I understand the concept of Pyramid, I just do not know how to do so within a set of 5.It is the incline bench press on the home training plan.
    Thank you again.

amanda.biskup
    Participant

I’m working out at home. I treated the 3-step pyramid as 1 set. Meaning, I did reps of 12, 10 & 8 with 3 different weight amounts five times. Some of the body building lingo gets confusing for me. Maybe that’s not right??? It didn’t make sense to me to increase weight five times??? I’m lost.

amanda.biskup
    Participant

Ok I’ve realized I’m wrong. I think it was a bit confusing because the example was a set of 3. So for those like myself that know nothing, I didn’t realize that the pyramid can be any number of sets.

kelli_73
    Participant

Now I’m confused….Lol!
    on the incline Bench Press we should for example do 12 reps of 50lbs as Set 1
    Then do 10 Reps of 60lbs as Set 2
    8 Reps of 70lbs as Set 3
    6 Reps of 80lbs as Set 4
    4 Reps of 90lbs as Set 5

Is this correct???

andreastumpf8
    Participant

I wonder how anybody should be able to have that many weights at home.At home trai ing should be different.

Maureen
    Maureen

Hi there,
    doing a pyramid is just a way to work up to heavier weight. The rep range for this week for some exercises is 10-12 reps. So you wouldn’t be doing 8 or 6 or 4 reps. I hope that makes sense. Pyramiding is just a way to kind of “warm up” to the heavy weights but you still want to land in the rep range for that day. I hope that makes sense. It’s alot to learn. You got this!

andreastumpf8
    Participant

Maureen, the problems are not the reps, it is the set of 5. How to make the example of a 3-set pyramid working for 5 sets. And I am not the only one being confused.I
    will do the first two sets as a warm up and then the pyramid. And honestly, I will not ask any other questions.

Melissa Penson
    Participant

I’ve read and reread but I’m experiencing the same confusion as you most of you, I’d like a simplified example. Thanks.

Maureen
    Maureen

Maureen, the problems are not the reps, it is the set of 5. How to make the example of a 3-set pyramid working for 5 sets. And I am not the only one being confused.I will do the first two sets as a warm up and then the pyramid. And honestly, I will not ask any other questions.

Hey there,
    for 5 sets we want to land in the 10-12 reps. So first set you are trying to choose a weight you can do 12 reps….next set if you feel like you can challenge more you can bump it up a bit and you only get 11, GREAT! Next set, you are still feeling like a champ and you bump it a bit more…wow, you get 10 reps (barely). Last 2 sets you are able to stay at this weight and squeeze out 10 more reps each and feel awesome. Does that help?

Maureen
    Maureen

Maureen, the problems are not the reps, it is the set of 5. How to make the example of a 3-set pyramid working for 5 sets. And I am not the only one being confused.I will do the first two sets as a warm up and then the pyramid. And honestly, I will not ask any other questions.

Hi there,
    Ask away. We are only here to help. If that first answer wasn’t helpful enough for you, then ask us to clarify it a bit more. There are alot of concepts here that are foreign to people, we try and answer them the best we can. Continue to ask as many questions as you like, there are plenty of other people that would benefit from you questions.

atnelson28
    Participant

I have been reading all the posts about the pyramiding and have gotten so confused. I thought I was doing it correctly but now I am doubting myself. I read what your post says above for Jan 8 about the first week the reps need to be 10-12 and we should not be doing 8 or 6 or 4. Then there is another post stating we should be going down to 8 reps because that is what Nicole says in her introduction summary about pyramid principle(see below) :

“We are incorporating the Pyramid Principle into all of these workouts – meaning you will increase your weight and lower your reps with each set. So if the rep range calls for 3 sets of 10-12 reps, you will start your first set using a weight you can do for around 12 repetitions. On your second set, you’ll increase the weight and shoot for 10 reps; on your third, you’ll increase the weight again and shoot for 8.”

I have been doing the first set at 12 reps, second set at 10, third set at 8, fourth at 6, fifth at 4 reps, increasing the weight for each lowered set. Is this correct or incorrect? I want to get it completely right for the second week…..especially if I screwed up the first week.

Sorry for asking the question after it has already been on here a dozen times but the questions are the reason for my confusion. I am just looking for clarification for myself because I want to make the most of this program. Thank you for all of the support and patience in answering our questions!

pamburke
    Participant

Maureen, I have been wondering about all of this too. I think I know what you’re saying, but wonder, if we know that we won’t be able to get 10-12 reps if we keep raising the weight do we stick with a weight that we know we can manage to push out 10 reps instead of increasing? For example, last night with my shoulder single arm raises I started at 15lb dumbbells and could not get out too many by the time I got to 25lb.

I didn’t want to start too light as it seems like a waste of time?

Thanks! Pam

Maureen
    Maureen

Maureen, I have been wondering about all of this too. I think I know what you’re saying, but wonder, if we know that we won’t be able to get 10-12 reps if we keep raising the weight do we stick with a weight that we know we can manage to push out 10 reps instead of increasing? For example, last night with my shoulder single arm raises I started at 15lb dumbbells and could not get out too many by the time I got to 25lb.
    I didn’t want to start too light as it seems like a waste of time?
    Thanks! Pam

Yea, don’t increase the weight if you know you will only get 4 reps….the range needs to stay in the 10-12 the best you can (or whatever that week calls for). You potentially could do 3 increase in weight…12 reps, then 11 reps 10 reps…that could be 3 different weights depending on how you feel. Or it could be 2. If you have 5 sets. the last 2 sets might be at the same weight. Pyramiding is just a way to look at it so you can work up to the heaviest you can do FOR THAT REP RANGE. It’s almost like tempting you to push the boundaries of what you think is possible. Look, if you end up doing 8 reps on that last set, Kudos to you on pushing harder than you ever have. Try not to overthink it. Remember the goal is to land in the specified rep range for that workout. And you are just working up to heavier weight and ending up at the lowest rep in that range by the time you get to the last set. If it’s new to you My advice would be your goal is to lift as heavy as you can and land in that rep range….10-12 this past week. I hope that helps you out a bit.

atnelson28
    Participant

Yes, this helps clear it up for me. Thank you!

pamburke
    Participant

Thank you!!! 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Nicole Wilkins