Nicole Wilkins

Rep/weight range

Home Forums 35 Day BUILD Challenge Forums Training Rep/weight range

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bkpaddock
    Participant

So just to be clear, only in weeks 2, 3 and 5 we increase the weight for each set?

Thanks!

Naomi

No, ideally you should pick a weight that you can’t increase each set because it’s at a heavy enough weight to where you can only – just barely – make the rep ranges indicated. Ideally you should increase your weights each week, but not each set in each exercise. Does that make sense?

bkpaddock
    Participant

Ok, thank you Naomi! I was just wondering what she meant by this – see below. This is the in training section of the challenge:

If the rep range calls for 3 sets of 6-8 reps, you will start your first set using a weight you can do for 8 repetitions – struggling on the last two or three. On your second set, you’ll increase the weight and shoot for 6-8 reps (again, struggling on the last 2-3); on your third, you’ll increase the weight again and shoot for 6.

Here’s how it would look for a compound exercise like barbell rows during Week 2:

Set 1 8 reps with 135 pounds (let’s call it a fairly easy 8)
    Set 2 7 reps with 155 pounds
    Set 3 6 reps with 165 pounds (let’s call it a hard 6!)

Naomi

Gotcha- yes, that is a pyramid technique that you can do to increase the intensity. That is ideal, though I sometimes have a hard time doing that because I don’t have the “in-between” weights. When you are lifting heavy with such a small rep range to play without is a little trickier to do pyramid sets as Nicole describes if you only have 5lb increment weights to work with. If I had access to 22.5lb or 17.5lb dumbbells, etc, or 35lb / 45lb barbells instead of the 10lb increments of 30, 40, 50lb barbells, might be able to pyramid better, lol!

If you can pyramid, then by all means, do so. Otherwise, just stick with the heaviest weight you can muster 6-8 reps with 🙂

madridsangria
    Participant

good morning
    i think i am going to add to this question as i am still a little confused……
    during week 3 we are going be lifting heavy.. perhaps out most difficult week.
    So if i am lifting my heaviest, how can i lift that amount during week 4 for 10-12 reps?
    am i correct in utilizing the pyramid technique for week 4?
    sorry for al the confussion

Naomi

Hi there- all that is asked if your you to lift as heavy as you are physically able to given the rep ranges for each week. If you are able to go heavier as the weeks go on, then go heavier. You can only lift as heavy as you can lift for the indicated rep ranges. Ideally, you should be getting stronger, so you should be able to lift a little heavier 🙂

Good luck, and I hope you’re having great, strong workouts his week!

madridsangria
    Participant

ok got it!! i underhand. thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.