Nicole Wilkins

Alternate to deadlift

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

ndesperado314
    Participant

I have a shoulder injury which limits me on certain exercises. Deadlifts are one of them. What is an alt exercise?

Sandi Bishop
    Sandi Bishop
    Participant

I had rotator cuff surgery last June and I do straight leg dead lifts instead..

ania.4dunn
    Participant

The deadlift is a big money maker in that it works the entire posterior (back) chain, one of the best compound lifts, and has immense impact on the cns and muscle development. Could you perhaps substitute for dumbbells vs bar deads? If not, the deadlift is essentially a leg press followed by a hip hinge. I would substitute leg press and leg extensions, and if you like, throw a back exercise in there, like a barbell/dumbbell row. It will be more exercises. As a trainer, this is what I recommend to my clients when they can’t perform deadlifts.

Sandi Bishop
    Sandi Bishop
    Participant

Thank you for your quick response to my question, I will definitely do the leg press & leg extensions on days my shoulder/ back is not feeling well. As you can see from my picture I am also dealing with scoliosis & stenosis in my lower back ( I was standing straight in the x-ray :(..)

ania.4dunn
    Participant

Hi Sandy. I don’t want to be the only one chiming it, I hope you get more perspectives from Nicole or her team, but I just want to say kudos to you for all your hard work and for resistance-training, which in my opinion is the best thing you can do for yourself. As recently as last August I was training with a lady that also has scoliosis. I have since moved, but we spent almost 2 years working together. I know every situation and body is unique. Though she didn’t have issue with deadlifting, that was her strong point, we did find that she had a very hard time connecting and firing her glutes, so we really focused on priming and warming her up properly in order to get the mind/muscle connection. She said resistance training was the best thing she ever did as it took her from being in daily pain in her lumbar spine to not. I commend you and encourage you to work within your limits.

Sandi Bishop
    Sandi Bishop
    Participant

thank you so much for comment. Yes I struggle daily with trying to deal with my pain(some days are better than others) resistance training has been a huge help in trying to maintain muscle tone, but its my strength I feel that I am losing. I do not to aggravate my situation so I have learned to try and except my limitations,but its a hard thing for this strong willed woman to do …

Maureen
    Maureen

I have a shoulder injury which limits me on certain exercises. Deadlifts are one of them. What is an alt exercise?

Not sure what you can really do but you can try Rack pulls…it’s just a partial ROM on deadlift. Or a Romanian deadlift, KB swings would work the posterior chain as well. Hope that helps.

Mritza Zecena
    Participant

I do have spinal Stenosis and L4L5 dislocate plus sciatica and the my PT said no deadlifts because give too much pressure at the lower body, but I start to do with lower weights slow to learn the right way and years later I can do in this challenge with 150# , so listen to you body if you are scare use bands better at nothing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.