Nicole Wilkins

Shoulder Alternates

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lori Moore
    Lori Moore
    Participant

Hey there ladies…..
    I asked this question on the FB page but didn’t get many responses so someone suggested I ask my question on here.
    So due to a protruding disc in my cervical spine that pinched off the nerves to my left arm in December of last year (2018)….my doctors refuse to permit me to do any exercises that require a bar on the back of my neck as well as nothing that puts my arms above shoulder height. So, no shoulder presses 🙁 I get a decent pump during my shoulder workouts (as I try to just overload them with exercises or reps) but I just feel like I’m lacking something without those presses. Can you recommend an extra exercise or 2 that would hit that same area of the shoulder as a shoulder press, without my arms going above shoulder height ???
    Thank you for any suggestions…..:)

Naomi

Hey there ladies…..
    I asked this question on the FB page but didn’t get many responses so someone suggested I ask my question on here.
    So due to a protruding disc in my cervical spine that pinched off the nerves to my left arm in December of last year (2018)….my doctors refuse to permit me to do any exercises that require a bar on the back of my neck as well as nothing that puts my arms above shoulder height. So, no shoulder presses 🙁 I get a decent pump during my shoulder workouts (as I try to just overload them with exercises or reps) but I just feel like I’m lacking something without those presses. Can you recommend an extra exercise or 2 that would hit that same area of the shoulder as a shoulder press, without my arms going above shoulder height ???
    Thank you for any suggestions…..:)

Hi Lori- the movements you can do to hit your shoulder muscles without pressing overhead would be:
    – front raises (dumbbells, plate weight, barbell, cables, bands)
    – lateral flies (any of the above mentioned equipment)
    – any variation of above exercise combinations using various hand positions and a wide variety of equipment.

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to hit the same muscles in the same way as you would with a press, but that is the reason your doctor suggested no pressing movements – so that you don’t hit the shoulder muscle in a way that won exacerbate your injury.

Just do the best you can with what you have to work with, give yourself time to heal, do all the shoulder exercises you care able to do right now, and when you can safely get back to pressing, then you can gradually bull back up. Good luck! 🙂

RoKinkade72
    Participant

What is a laurel fly? Is it supposed to be lateral?

Thanks!

Naomi

What is a laurel fly? Is it supposed to be lateral?

Thanks!

LOL, yes, type-O! It’s suppose to be lateral. I corrected it, thank you! 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.