I’ve said it a lot since last year’s Olympia, but one of my main goals this year has been building my bootay – or glutes as we usually refer to them 🙂 Here is a FST-7 themed, glute-focused workout that will definitely help you build a tighter, rounder butt. You can do this glute-specific workout once a week and then add in a few other glute exercises on your other leg day.
Click on the thumbnail image to enlarge each photo!
#1 FST-7 GLUTE CABLE KICKBACK
- Place the ankle strap at the bottom of the cable and attach it to your ankle
- Lean forward and grab the cable pulley station, keeping your back flat and your neck in line with your spine.
- Start with your knee bent and drive your heel back, so that your leg is parallel to the floor at the top of the movement
- Squeeze your glute at the top of the exercise, then slowly return to the starting position
- Do 7 sets of 12 repetitions. Do all 7 sets with the same leg first, then move on to the next leg.
- Rest 30 seconds between sets.
#2 BARBELL SUMO SQUAT/SUMO SQUAT PULSE SUPERSET
- Place a barbell on your shoulders and take a stance with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart
- Point your toes out at a 45-degree angle
- Keeping your back straight and head up, squat down and lower your butt to the floor. As you squat down, your knees should go out in the same direction as your toes
- Squat down until your hips are slightly below your knees
- Push up through your heels and squeeze your butt at the top
- Immediately after your 15th rep, squat down to the bottom portion of the movement. Drive through your heels on the way up, but only come up halfway before squatting back down. This is one “Pulse”
- Perform 4 sets of 15 reps of both Sumo Squats and Sumo Squat Pulses
- Rest 60 seconds between sets. Do not rest between Sumo Squats and Sumo Squat Pulses
#3 ONE-LEG LEG PRESS/EXERCISE BALL HAMSTRING TUCKUP SUPERSET
- Sit in a leg press machine and position one foot on the sled, slightly out to the side. Your toes should be near the top of the sled
- Push up through your heel until your leg is almost straight – keep a very slight bend in your knee at the top of the movement
- Bend at the knee and slowly lower the sled to the starting position, lowering the weight as low as you can
- Once you complete your 10th rep, move immediately to Exercise Ball Hamstring Tuckups
- Lie on the ground and place your heels on top of the exercise ball
- Lift your hips as high up as you can – while your hips are lifted, pull your heels into your butt
- Extend your legs out straight, rolling the ball out with your heels, to return to the starting position without dropping your hips to the floor
- Perform 4 total sets – 10 reps of One Leg Leg Presses (with each leg) and 30 reps of Exercise Ball Hamstring Tuckups
- Rest for 45 seconds after each superset. Do not rest after leg presses
#4 EXERCISE BALL ONE-LEGGED GLUTE RAISE
- Lie on the floor on your back and place one heel on top of an exercise ball, with your knee bent at a 90 degree angle. Extend your other leg straight up towards the ceiling
- Drive the heel of your straight leg up towards the ceiling, lifting your hips up as high as you can as you do
- Pause and squeeze, then lower your leg back to the starting position so your hips barely touch the floor
- Keep your leg straight throughout the entire movement
- Perform 4 sets of 10 reps. Do not rest between sets – move immediately to the next leg with no rest
#5 FST-7 EXERCISE BALL GLUTE RAISE
- Lie on the floor on your back and place both feet on top of the exercise ball, bending your knees to a 90-degree angle
- Lift you hips up as high as you can and squeeze at the top of the movement
- Lower your hips back down, so that they are just slightly above the floor at the bottom of the exercise
- Perform 7 sets of 15 reps. Rest 30 seconds between sets.