By Allison Frahn
If you’ve ever been to a Mexican restaurant you must surely be familiar with quesadillas. Heck, most restaurant chains serve this dish as an appetizer selection. The only issue with quesadillas that you typically find at a restaurant is that they are often loaded with an excess amount of fat calories from oils and filling ingredients.
However, there is a simple solution – make them yourself! With just a few simple ingredient swaps you can make them equally as delicious and still feel great about eating them! These Zucchini Crepe Quesadillas are a perfect solution for a summertime snack to share with your family and friends, or simply prepare it to eat as a meal on its own. Enjoy!
• 1 1/2 pounds fresh zucchini, finely grated
• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
• 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 3 large eggs
• 1/4 cup egg whites
• 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 3 tbsp coconut flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
• 1/3 cup onions, chopped
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 8 oz grilled chicken breast, finely chopped
• 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese
• Use a cheesecloth to squeeze all the juice out of the grated zucchini so just the pulp remains. Set aside.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the yogurt, milk, egg whites, dill, parsley, salt, and baking powder.
• Gradually stir in the flours. Note, you want the batter to be about the consistency of a thin pancake batter. If you have achieved this consistency and still have extra flour that’s okay; you do not have to use it all – the consistency is most important. Once this consistency is reached, stir in the oil.
• Set this batter aside and let sit for about 25-30 minutes to set.
• While the batter is resting, prepare the filling. Coat a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper and sauté until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
• Once the batter is ready, coat a separate large skillet with non-stick cook spray and place over medium heat.
• Pour about ½ cup of batter into the skillet and swirl around until the entire pan is covered. The KEY here is to get as thin as possible, so use just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet (this will vary based on the size of your skillet).
• Once the bottom is golden brown, flip and cook for another minute or so before transferring to a plate. Repeat with remaining crepes.
• Last, take the crepe and add a portion of the mushroom mixture, grilled chicken, and shredded cheese and fold it up. Place it back on the skillet for a minute or two to allow the cheese to melt. Repeat with the remaining crepes. Serve with some low-fat sour cream or salsa. Enjoy!
(Per serving; recipe serves 4)
405 calories, 45g protein, 24g carbohydrates (3g fiber), 14g fat
Fit Fixins: Low Carb Rainbow Pizza
Fit Fixins: Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Popsicle Cups
Fit Fixins: Ranch Tuna Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
Fit Fixins: Light Lemon Poundcake
Fit Fixins: Breakfast Pizza Cups
ABOUT ALLISON FRAHN
Allison is a five-time IFBB Figure Olympian who has a passion for healthy, yet delicious cooking. Allison owns Alli’s Slim Pickins, Inc., a healthy food and recipe-based company. She is excited to share her years of experience with you and provide healthy recipes that proclaim her slogan: 100% Taste & 0% Guilt.