Traveling during the summer season is fun, but it can make eating healthy very challenging.
That’s why we asked our resident experts from the NW Fitness Training Team to give a few of their favorite summer travel foods, to help you stay on track to reaching your goals – wherever you are.
1. Any kind of fruit. Full of fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients, I typically go with apples and bananas since they are easy to pack and don’t require any prep.
2. nPower Nutrition Isolate in a shaker cup. It’s always important to keep a protein source handy and this one is super easy: just fill it with water and shake it.
3. Mixed nuts and low sugar jerky. Another good protein combination. Plus, I get a good dose of healthy fats from the nuts.
1. Protein smoothies made with nPower Nutrition Isolate. I love these because they are refreshing, full of protein and nutrients, and filling. You can get as creative as you want with the ingredients.
2. Protein pancakes/crepes/wraps. One day I made 10 small pancakes and took them with me on the road. They will keep for days, especially if you freeze them.
3. Snack Pack To Go, packs of nuts, and Nut Butters. These are a great source of healthy fats and keep for a really long time at room temperature.
1. Carrots, celery, and hummus. Hummus is a great tasting, low fat dip and the fiber from the vegetables is not only good for you, it keeps you feeling full to avoid splurging in between meals.
2. Whole wheat wrap with shredded chicken and guacamole. You can’t go wrong with the low-glycemic carbs from the whole wheat and lean protein from the chicken, plus the great taste and monounsaturated fat from the guac.
3. Fruit and turkey jerky. Fruit is perfect on those hot summer days, and the turkey jerky is an easy, low-fat source of protein.