I’m sure I don’t need to tell you about the numerous obstacles and limitations we face that become road blocks to reaching our goals – some physical, some mental, some emotional (and some darn annoying reoccurring nuisance road blocks that you thought were gone but keep popping up).
At times, we may not even be aware we have road blocks until we delve deeper into our fitness journey. This not only applies to goals in the fitness world, but in all aspects of life when trying to achieve success. We can be our own worst enemy at times, and are often left asking ourselves “why can’t I get past this?”
Let me tell you a little bit about my experience as a trainer helping clients get beyond their road blocks – it can be nothing short of miraculous. When you witness someone smashing through an internal barrier that helps them crush through physical barriers, it is an amazing feat! And it can have a domino effect on conquering future road blocks.
PHYSICAL REPRESENTATION OF EMOTIONAL STRESS & OTHER ISSUES
Many mental and emotional issues can manifest in the physical body. Stress leading to high blood pressure, depression leading to inactivity, unhappiness and despair leading to binge eating – all are examples of coping mechanisms that can have a negative overall effect on your mental and physical well being.
You may have heard people say working out is their form of therapy. Whether you believe this or not, it is true for many people (including myself, lol). I have seen clients completely break down during a workout, to the point that we had to stop training and go in a room to talk, because something happened along their fitness journey that hit a deep issue they weren’t aware even existed – and weren’t sure how to handle.
I’ve also had clients come in for their training session and tell me “I’ve had a stressful day, train me hard today!”
I don’t know exactly what it is about breaking beyond physical barriers that taps into the emotional psyche, but it does. The mental-physical-emotional connection is never more apparent than when you successfully push beyond limitations and comfort zones.
THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG DILEMMA
So what comes first? Is it growing stronger physically, which as a result makes you stronger mentally and emotionally? Or does exercise and nutrition, overcoming issues, and gaining more self-discipline help you push more in the gym – which in turn makes you stronger physically?
The truth is, I don’t know. I only know that as my clients gain physical strength, endurance and stamina, they simultaneously gain mental and emotional strength, which helps them push through mental and emotional barriers and handle difficult situations better and with more confidence.
All of this spills over into every other aspect of their lives: their careers, friendships, marriage or other relationships, goals and aspirations and so on!
TIPS TO HELP YOU BREAK ON THROUGH
Here are a few tips that might help you push through the road blocks you may be facing and gain strength – both inside and out:
• Face Your Fears Head On. If something scares you – in a good way, of course – chances are it can also help you grow. Don’t always run from what scares you. You’ll never get anywhere that way! There is a healthy fear that helps you grow and change in positive ways if you face an overcome whatever it is that scares you, such as the fear of gaining weight or eating calories beyond your comfort zone, or of ifting heavier or changing your exercise routine. What’s the worst that could happen?
• Embrace Change. If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you. So my first point of facing your fears (or challenges) directly feeds into this point. Most of you want some kind of change to come from your fitness journey, so you must face challenges and embrace changes in order to see results.
• Work Through Your (Inner And Outer) Pain. Face your pain and work through it – the physical pain of a workout, and the mental/emotional pain of an obstacle. The more your run from it or don’t address it, the longer it will stay with you and prevent you from moving forward.
• Let Your Emotions Fuel Your Workouts. This one needs no explanation, lol! I’m sure you’ve all had some great, powerful workouts fueled by emotion.
• Recognize Challenges And “Breakdowns” as a Positive. When you hit something deep, recognize that what is on the other side of it could be so freeing that it is what will help you not only get beyond internal road blocks, but external plateaus as well.
Tip Me Tuesday: A Little Structure Goes A Long Way
Tip Me Tuesday: Why Isn’t This Working Part II
Tip Me Tuesday: Why Isn’t This Working Part I
Tip Me Tuesday: Being Active Isn’t The Same Thing As Working Out
Tip Me Tuesday: Chasing Goal Ghosts And Fitness Phantoms
Tip Me Tuesday: The Myth Of Lifting Like A Man
ABOUT NAOMI RABON
One of the trainers on Nicole’s elite NW Fitness Training Team, Naomi is a certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine. She is a NPC Figure competitor who has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 12 years.