How amazing is the smell of apple pie filling your home as it bakes in the oven? It’s so delicious that I wanted to enjoy it more often 🙂
However, eating healthy is important to me – so I decided to have my pie and eat it too by creating my Oatmeal Crisp Baked Apples! They have all the flavor of freshly-baked apple pie without the added sugar or excess carbs and fat.
(recipe makes 4; serving size is one baked apple
• 4 medium apples (my favorites are Fuji or Honeycrisp)
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 2 tbsp coconut flour
• 1.5 tbsp cinnamon
• 6 tbsp granulated Stevia (or your preferred sweetener)
• 4 tbsp coconut oil
• 2 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp salt
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
• Wash apples and cut the tops off. Using a knife, carefully remove the core and discard.
• Use a spoon to gently scoop out some of the apple flesh (be careful so you don’t break the apple) to form your apple shell and put the flesh into a mixing bowl. Each of the apple shells should be approximately 1/2 inch thick.
• Place cored apples in a small glass baking dish so that they are close together and stand upright. Rub the tops with lemon juice to prevent from turning brown. Next, add just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
• Take the apple flesh that you removed and finely chop. Put back into the bowl.
• Add oats, coconut flour, cinnamon, stevia, coconut oil, maple syrup, extract, and salt to the apples and mix well until fully combined.
• Spoon 1/4 apple mixture into each apple. Lightly pack and fill to the top (you will have a slight overfill).
• Bake apples about 35-40 minutes, or until filling is bubbly, tops are golden brown, and apples are nice and tender.
• Carefully remove baked apples and allow to cool 10 minutes before moving out of the dish. Enjoy!
(per 1 baked apple)
305 calories, 3g protein, 37.5g carbohydrates (8 grams fiber), 16g fat
ABOUT ALLISON FRAHN
Allison is a five-time IFBB Figure Olympian who has a passion for healthy, yet delicious cooking. Allison owns Alli’s Slim Pickins, Inc., a healthy food and recipe-based company. She is excited to share her years of experience with you and provide healthy recipes that proclaim her slogan: 100% Taste & 0% Guilt.